Police and Criminal Evidence (PACE)
Activities proposed for this programme area will build awareness and initiate effective strategies to support evidence-based policing in Nigeria. The programme objectives will:
- direct policy attention to the gaps in and absence of forensic investigation capacities of the Police;
- increase the capacity of the Nigerian Police Force to engage in evidence-based policing;
- encourage the development of model or pilot units in evidence-based policing and increase positive perceptions on career specialization in forensics and similar specialized units in the Police;
- raise public awareness on the effects of 3rd degree policing and non-evidence-based policing on criminal prosecution and conviction of criminal suspects; and
- focus attention on the reduction of the use of confessional statements as primary evidence in criminal prosecution.